Monday Business


Hi!  How are you?  Hope you had a great weekend!  Ours was pretty busy as Winston and Roman attended a birthday party at the local bowling alley for their friend Rohith.  Harris had a ton of homework and had a fireside last night to watch a slide show made from all the photos that were taken during trek, and we had the missionaries over for dinner.  Now it is Monday, and I am knee deep in things I need to get done.  The carpet cleaners are here.  Yeah!  I finished the paperwork sent to me by the adoption agency and of course the checks for fees that we owe.  Emptied out my e-mail box and canceled a few subscriptions to various things, and tonight Winston has soccer practice. Frank and I are still in a daze.  We can't believe our adoption of Avery is really happening.  After waiting so long to see her sweet little face, it is crazy to think in a few months we are going to have another toddler in the house.  We are so excited.  On the flip side it has been a hard week for us as our 14 year old adjust to high school and the expectation that come with that.  It has not been an easy transition for him.  My husband and I are sitting on the fence as what to do when it comes to the homework.  Do we help him out even when it cause us to be late somewhere when he forgets to put his assignment on the SD card or do we say sorry you should have been more prepared and let him get an F on the assignment?  I want to help him out as much as possible, but at the same time it seems much of the grieve could have been avoided in the first place.   Things have changed so much since my husband and I were in high school.   All our homework was hand written.  We are also having a hard time with him managing his time with assignments and playing video games.  We can't take the computer away because then he can't get his work done.  Ugh!  Anyway, I thought I would share this yummy side dish with you!  I love rice, but I don't like the mess that comes with rice when children are eating it!  This dish is  a perfect solution and it has hidden veggies in it.  Yummy
Broccoli Baked Rice Cups
1 1/2 cups of rice uncooked
4 cups of liquid chicken broth
3 eggs slightly beaten
10 ounces of broccoli florets chopped and slightly cooked
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of pepper
1 1/2 cups of your favorite cheese
1/2 cup of ranch dressing

Cook rice in the chicken broth.  When done allow to cool and scoop out 2 cup of rice and place in a bowl.  Now chop up broccoli and and par-boil for 1-2 minutes.  Immediately cool off broccoli in an ice bath to stop cooking.  Drain out water and add broccoli to to rice.  Beat up three egg and add that to the bowl.  Mix in ranch and 1 cup of the cheese along with salt and pepper.  Grease 12 muffin cups and scoop out rice mixture into each slot and top with cheese.  Bake for 25 minutes until rice has set and cheese is melted on top. Take it to the next level by adding a slice or two or three of chopped bacon.  Super simple and very tasty.  They were a big  hit with the kids!  Have a Happy Monday!  

Comments

dawn said…
The homework dilemma...never gets easier. My oldest is in a school known for the amount of homework the dole out :( but the up side to this is she learnt early on to get organised.
Give him (x) amount of times to get it right with you picking up the pieces and helping, after that he is on his own and has to deal with back lash of failing grades etc.
SO much homework in this country...I for one think it is nuts.

So excited about Avery, cannot wait for you to travel. Think I might be pushing that one LOL
tinajo said…
Clever - and it looks good! :-)

http://tinajoathome.com/
Shauna said…
Very nicely done. I love broccoli with eggs, so good. I've been thinking about you and am hopeful for you. Love,

Shauna xoxoxox
Stephanie said…
This is similar to something I make a lot, only as a casserole. I'll have to try it in muffin tins...looks really good!

Popular Posts